AM radio station list

If I have some time tonight to finish I might use this tomorrow.

Since it was far too hot to do any more digging, I spent a couple of hours making this antenna from some spare bits and pieces from the shed.

From the diameter (1m) number of turns (450) and length of wire (1.4kms) a quick calculation makes the result some 500 Henries, ready for ELF once I add a capacitor or two and a couple of finishing touches to her.20190629_154956.webp20190629_154938.webp20190629_163747.webp20190629_155010.webp20190629_163725.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20190629_155010.webp
    20190629_155010.webp
    531.1 KB · Views: 20
Hmm, the meter I'm using has given a figure of 37mH for the finished article.

Using the followng formula and this gives a figure of 495000 microHenries (or, half of a Henry)


Where have I gone wrong ?:confused
 
Last edited:
Now that I have the whole caboodle working, of sorts, I've been receiving what sounds suspiciously like morse code on a frequency near enough to around 9kHz, though it is at a bandwidth that the laptop sound card and the SDR Sharp programme cannot filter any better to remove the distortion.

My guess it is somebody (or a relay station ) local as the loop cannot be reacting well in the tank circuit I have built, plus everything is indoors at ground level.

The capacitor used is measured at roughly 10nF on the meter, tuned to a shade under 11nF with a couple of beehive trimmers in parallel. The meter also takes into account the coaxial cable and connectors between the hoop and the incoming earphone jack at dead on 9.7nF with me sitting nearby.

Resonant frequency should be just above 8.4kHz from my reckoning.
 

Attachments

More BBC local radio AM cuts coming

Three Counties Radio 1161 & 630
Radio Merseyside 1485
Radio Newcastle 1458
Radio Solent 999 & 1359
Radio Corwall 630 & 657
Radio York 666 & 1260


In addition the AM power is being turned down on

Radio Scotland - Aberdeen area
Radio Wales - Tywyn Forden & Llandridrod Wells areas
Radio Cumbria - Whitehaven area
Radio Norfolk - Norwich area

so coverage areas will be reduced.
 
Ive also seen a comment that several of the Midlands MW frequencies for the old ILR stations have been cut & the licenses handed back, including what was BRMB 1161 (261m) & Beacon 990 (303m)
 
More BBC local radio AM cuts coming

Three Counties Radio 1161 & 630
Radio Merseyside 1485
Radio Newcastle 1458
Radio Solent 999 & 1359
Radio Corwall 630 & 657
Radio York 666 & 1260


In addition the AM power is being turned down on

Radio Scotland - Aberdeen area
Radio Wales - Tywyn Forden & Llandridrod Wells areas
Radio Cumbria - Whitehaven area
Radio Norfolk - Norwich area

so coverage areas will be reduced.
I think that all happened already.
 
AM is dying fast. Seemingly many of the student LPAM's are off air too, probably permanently.
 
I think that all happened already.
I happened to tune in to Radio Merseyside MW earlier this year (January I think) and there was retuning advice being broadcast instead of normal programming.
 
Radio Newcastle & York are definitely gone. Used a homebrew tuned loop for many years for Newcastle home games on 1458.
 
Reports suggest the old Red Dragon Radio Cardiff / Newport frequencies 1305 / 1359 have been axed.
 
I happened to tune in to Radio Merseyside MW earlier this year (January I think) and there was retuning advice being broadcast instead of normal programming.
Merseyside on 1485 was a very strong signal this side of the Irish Sea in Dundalk. Now I can hear Radio 4 from the low power Carlisle transmitter in the evenings, before it is swamped by Spain.
 
Radio Scotland 585 in Dunfries & Galloway closed over the summer.

Europe1's (183) transmission site is to be blown up & cleared....
 
I heard Caroline 648 at reasonable strength around 1700 this evening on the car radio! Some long deep fades but at the top of the cycle more or less good enough to listen to
 
Bit of interest.
-http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/october/radio-caroline-648-transmitter-maintenance-report.htm
 
The old Chiltern Radio tx'ers on 792 & 828 have been axed in the last few days.
 
Bit of interest.
-http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/october/radio-caroline-648-transmitter-maintenance-report.htm
Good signals here on my Roberts R809 :) Wishbone Ash Sometime World on Radio Caroline 648KHz
 
4 more AM's going silent at the end of April:

1151khz Manchester - ex Picadilly radio
828khz Leeds - ex Radio Aire
999khz Lancashire - ex Red Rose Radio
1161khz Hull - ex Viking Radio
 
4 more AM's going silent at the end of April:

1151khz Manchester - ex Picadilly radio
828khz Leeds - ex Radio Aire
999khz Lancashire - ex Red Rose Radio
1161khz Hull - ex Viking Radio
Reports on DS say these 4 were switched off this morning
 
Another heap of BBC MW tx closures over the next few weeks - (the first two are due off today 6/5/21):

R Foyle 792kHz
R Ulster 873 / 1341 kHz
R Cambridgeshire 1026kHz
R H&W 738 / 1584kHz
R Lancashire 855kHz
R Essex 792 / 765kHz
R Stoke 1503kHz
R Sheffield 1035kHz
R Leeds 774kHz
R Devon 801 / 990 kHz


And these two are having their service area reduced

R Gloucestershire 1413kHz
R Wales 657 / 882kHz
 
Last edited:
Back
Top