Bargain Second-Hand Big Dishes For Sale

Came across a dish today that could be up for sale soon, dish is an IRTE 1.4 ish ( didn´t have a tape in my pocket after running across 3 roofs )
Polar mount got my attention, any thoughts about it´s worth? Client wants 1.3 Famaval as back-up to IPTV system. Actuator is a very old, propably non functional Echostar.
Dish is well bent round the edges, but seems sound doing quick check with S1 meter.
View attachment 97757 View attachment 97758

Anyone got a use for this?
Standard smaller sizes were 1.2 & 1.5m. The fixings in the feed arms tend to corrode in place. Out of 6 feed arm ends I had to drill & re-tap 3. Be careful when removing the arms as it is easy to damage the dish by rotating the angled spacer. The best way I found to remove the dish face from the back plate, without damage, was to hold the screw heads with mole grips and shear the bolts by over torquing them. As long as it's only the turned down edge that's dented, it should be ok. Well worth saving. They sell for £50-100 in UK depending on location etc. Data here: Just Sharing This - IRTE Dish Specifications
 
Last edited:
It's a beautiful dish. I have nowhere to mount it but I wouldn't mind storing it away and gloating.
Having a big dish sat in the shed isn't all that satisfying even though it is nice to look at it every so often and dream of what might be.
Edit: Read that after posting and it sounds like a sad git's musings
 
looks like it came of a bigger dish, the precisions are 3 point mounting if i remember correctly.
 
I'm pretty sure there was one of those on a 90cm Precision i bought but it was well over 20 yrs ago.
I bought mine used around 10yrs ago John, from memory it takes a 3inch pole ? same as everything precision well on top of the job, I will find it out soon and put a 1.2 channel master on it.
 
BM

The motor in your photo looks vaguely reminiscent of a smaller Jaeger motor on the 80cm dish that came with my NEC 5000 system in the early 1990s. So could it have come from the same source?
 
BM

The motor in your photo looks vaguely reminiscent of a smaller Jaeger motor on the 80cm dish that came with my NEC 5000 system in the early 1990s. So could it have come from the same source?
It could be, certainly a well made motor I am quite sure it takes a 3inch pole the adaptor plate has various holes to accept more than one type of dish so I don't think it was designed just for precision, the dishes will have plenty of interest rare and quality ,

When I find it out I will see if I can find any information on it / maybe the buyer of the items in question is from this forum and can post up, good luck to the bidders.
 
The three holes here make sense and been used I will check I am sure it came like this
View attachment 98345

blademedia,

I do not think those three holes are direct fixing points for a Precision 1.2m dish. If you check the 1.2m dish face for the rivet heads that hold the tubular steel mounting ring on the back of the dish they are in a circle of approximately 58cm diameter. The ring used by Precision for a 1.2m dish was 60cm diameter. The circular plate on the motor mount is too small to mount the dish directly onto it, there would need to be an adapter plate or some type of metal framework to scale up to the 3 fixing points on the Precision dish.

One of the photos in the listing shows the motor close the the dishes, it's fairly easy to see the motor circular plate is undersized for the rear mounting ring on the Precision dishes.


Rgds
 
Back
Top