Dishes on holiday

Thieves beware :eek:. dam I had my eye on the TX feed arms :D
It just occurred to me what's been nagging me about the look of the feed-arms:
You might not be happy with the result if you just grabbed the feed arms.
To me it looks like those are 0.8 f/D dishes, so you would need to grab the reflector as well, or your LNB would be a bit far from the optimal focus point of the more common 0.6 f/D reflector...
 
I was on one exhibition today, that was about smart energy and unmanned aerial stuff. Spotted Ku-band LNB made in Hungary and transportable 2-axis automatically operated solar umbrella made of carbon fiber (very light and strong). I asked the man, whether it possible to put satellite dish instead of solar panels, he said, yes, of course but will be super expensive.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150618_141145a (Large).webp
    IMG_20150618_141145a (Large).webp
    54 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20150618_135103a (Large).webp
    IMG_20150618_135103a (Large).webp
    91.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Spot the dish:D Clocked this while in Budapest last week. I think it's on the roof of an educational establishment on the Buda side.Buda_Dish.webp
 
Herceg-Novi, Montenegro a few days ago. A dish about to be used for an uplink from a music festival in the fort. I think the dish was 1.8 or 2m - for reference I am 170cm (for those of you still using old money that's er 5'7", or is when I'm wearing *very* thick socks at least). Didn't get the model number but it had Prodelin stamped on the back. It also appeared to have some form of heating element on the back.

1-IMG_4709-001.webp 2-IMG_4710.webp 3-IMG_4711.webp 4-IMG_4712.webp 5-IMG_4713.webp 6-IMG_4714.webp 7-IMG_4715.webp 8-IMG_4716.webp
 
Last edited:
Herceg-Novi, Montenegro a few days ago. A dish about to be used for an uplink from a music festival in the fort. I think the dish was 1.8 or 2m - for reference I am 170cm (for those of you still using old money that's er 5'7", or is when I'm wearing *very* thick socks at least). Didn't get the model number but it had Prodelin stamped on the back. It also appeared to have some form of heating element on the back.
That is a Prodelin series 1184. Veery nice dish, 1.8 meters.
(RimaNTSS has two, the lucky git!)
Never seem the monut before, though - looks quite interesting.
Wouldn't want to manage that in windy conditions though. Suppose the wind never blows down there?
Also seems to have de-icing option - but I don't reckognize it.
Wouldn't have expeted one of those as a mobile upling device - you can get motorized and automated things these days.
Of course - if you're on a shoe-string, the old stuff will give you mileage.
 
Not exactly exotic, but I noticed these two dishes around the back entrance of William Hill bookmakers in Omagh, N Ireland.

One on the left is definitely a Channel Master with well reinforced wall bracketry. It looks like a 1.2 metre version. Making rough observations I'm reasonably certain this is looking at Astra 4A at 4.8 East.

The dish on the right seems to be a no-name dish, probably 80cm. This is looking further east in the sky compared to the CM dish. At first I thought it might be looking at Astra 2E/F/G at 28.2 East but I then thought that I'm sure the likes of William Hill wouldn't be installing such dishes especially for domestic channels and that they can't show At The Races or Racing UK in the premises legally anyway! So I'm now thinking that it's aimed at 33 East for Turf TV on Eutelsat 33B. Not able to 100% confirm it myself however - inside the bookmakers there was just one main screen showing racing with 12 other screens showing text & still images. If it is Turf TV, it might be a backup feed if the SiS feed goes down. If someone who installs satellite systems at bookmakers knows more, I'd be interested to know.

View attachment 81323 whoma2.webp whoma3.jpg
 
if I was guessing it would be for turf on 33e
 
Just returned from my friend's apartment where, on balcony, we installed CM120 he got couple of days ago. Of course, he washed plastic surface, brushed with metal brush the mount and sprayed it with metallic paint. Some nuts&bolts are changed to INOX. I picket up signal "impolitely" fast (installed dish and got lock immediately), so we had more time to drink beer. There is polar mount, but by now it will stay tuned to 4,8*E, if there is a need than can be motorized. Of course he need to add more weight on the ground stand.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150823_194522 (Custom).webp
    IMG_20150823_194522 (Custom).webp
    182.5 KB · Views: 78
Kidding :D ? All jobs were done under my close supervision.... metallic paint only on the mount and ground stand. Plastic just washed, no paint there ;)
 
Just been on a 4-day visit to South Korea. (Yes, business trip, so it may conflict with the topic title, but, hey...)

Not too many domestic dishes seem - this country is extremely well wired (many have fibre-to-the-home, most have 100 Mb/s+ download speeds.

But here is a selection of dishes from the roof of an un-named STB manufacturer. Looks like most of it is C-band stuff, although having no idea of the sat profile in Korea, I might be wrong.
Purely for entertainment, here's an updated set of pictures of the same set of dishes, only 9 months later....

What are the petalised dishes?
They seem not too flimsy ... but are they Ku or C?
 

Attachments

  • IMAG1474.webp
    IMAG1474.webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG1475.webp
    IMAG1475.webp
    97 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG1476.webp
    IMAG1476.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG1480.webp
    IMAG1480.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG1481.webp
    IMAG1481.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 76
Purely for entertainment, here's an updated set of pictures of the same set of dishes, only 9 months later....

What are the petalised dishes?
They seem not too flimsy ... but are they Ku or C?
They are Kor South band, aimed North, guess the ran out of speakers!
 
Dish outside the Vitality Stadium ahead of AFC Bournemouth vs Sunderland AFC, can't tell where its pointing. Probably not the best angle for a photo.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_50402.webp
    IMG_50402.webp
    466.4 KB · Views: 66
That is Gregorian type dish, media are using them for up/down links.
 
Looks like a gregorian type cm 1.8m or even prodelin?
 
Back
Top